2009-06-18

Why Get So Mad Christian?


I have experienced many times before that it is almost never beneficial to try and explain facts (And I mean cold hard scientific evidence with general facts concerning the bible) with a follower of Christianity in the United States of America...especially in the south...especially in Texas.

***Please note for this piece that I am speaking not of all Christians in general nor all Christians in Texas but of the Christians whom I've met and spoken to in person.

I've never discussed such matters with someone face-to-face outside of Texas as I am not fortunate enough to travel much (or maybe that's my own fault) so I don't have any experience with others from outside the state.

What I am basically attempting to say through mediocre writing skills is that I find it very hard to show Christians how ridiculous their faith is by presenting them with cold, hard facts. I mean, it is somewhat understandable: I would find it terrifying as well if everything I knew was all made up and even ridiculous-my world would be shattered.

So yes, I understand how it could be somewhat difficult to accept the truth that God and Jesus are like Santa Claus-made up friends that your parents told you about to keep you in line and to give you a little joy in your ever-so-troublesome childhood days. ;)

I don't, however, understand why some Christians can be so stubborn and reject all the facts. Does it not seem quite odd that one is willing to literally live by a book that is 2,000 years old rather than investigate and accept scientific findings and evidence as real and true? Well, that is exactly what I have experienced with the Christians I've spoken to.

It seems though that when one confronts a believer with facts and evidence that the Bible and Christianity as a whole is a fraud-they get very upset and don't want to hear one word of it...why? If one is so firm in their beliefs then why are they not willing to defend them or defend their beloved god? If you're so sure that "God", "Hell", "sin", "heaven", and all those other cute imaginations are real and that it should have an effect in my life-prove it with evidence. Don't give me that tired old shit about needing faith because that only requires one not to think and just accept things the way they are without any evidence for the claims made. You wouldn't just have faith when your doctor tells you that you need it so that your body will simply overcome cancer without treatment, would you?

Image via HoboStuff

-Peace-