2009-06-02

Don't Just Hear, Listen!


Too often I experience the unfortunate part of life that is, well life. More specifically, I'm talking about learning from your mistakes; making yourself a better person (in your own view, because that's all that matters).

It can be a bit difficult (and often very difficult) to be able to do more than just hear, but listen. What I'm talking about is accepting positive criticism. It's already making you twitch, no? ;)

It's something that will come up more than once in your lifetime, and every time it has the same eye-opening effect that makes your brain circuitry (oh, and emotions!) go wild.

Your experiences may or may not be similar to mine but either way they are human experiences and we can relate. We all can understand that each one of us wants to be able to be understood and not just heard.

I had the issue of listening to a very important person in my life. I heard the person, but I didn't, unfortunately, listen. Not until now. For me to listen to this person, I had to begin to accept the fact that I was capable of making a mistake. Yes, that last statement sounds quite ridiculous but it's the truth and I'm very glad I recognized that issue.

When I began to listen and accept the fact that I am not perfect (oh so hard) I remembered that the other person is just as capable of such error. I also remembered that that person is a great love of mine and accepts not only my successes but also my failures.

After listening, I actually felt happy. Yes, I did recognize that there was something about me which needed molding but that is perfectly O.K. Now, I feel great that I am able to understand where that person was coming from and put myself in their shoes and their socks and see things from their point of view.

So, before you begin to speak on any matter of which you feel is important to you to anyone, think just a bit more and then listen.

-Peace-